Firefox 3 Beta 5 release today. Release notes and downloads here. Installed it as soon as I got to know today morning and the first thing to check was whether Yahoo Mail still crashed. Initially, Yahoo Mail seemed to work alright for all of 50 seconds - quickly moving over items in inbox caused Firefox to crash :-( Guess will wait for some more time. I’m sure there’s a bug report somewhere on this - Yahoo mail was broken on Beta 2, got fixed in Beta 3, then was broken in Beta 4 and is still broken on Beta 5.
He he :-) - finally got Ubuntu Hardy heron beta on my home and work laptop. first impressions below: Wubi install from within windows is easy and works great. If after setting up so many boxes, I can go on and on about it, I’m sure that its great help for anyone who’s on Windoze. I mean, the barrier to entry has never gone down so much. I guess once you’ve installed via Wubi and configured your system to your liking, you can uninstall and take an image that you finall install to a dedicated partition - isn’t that just awesome.
Recently, started fiddling around with how to monitor and graph performance data on linux boxes. Other than the usual tools like top and vmstat, which are either interactive (top) or too textual to do anything much. First off, vmstat, doesnt lend itself well to graphing without additional scripts to lay out the data so tools like gnuplot can be used. Secondly, and more seriously, it doesn’t include a timestamp in the output.
XMLStarlet is great for slicing and dicing huge XML files. Had a run in recently - had a 80 Mb XML file in a single line :D. Guess what, most editors that I tried balked and fell over. This was on a 2Gig Core2 Duo machine. XMLSpy, vi, emacs, notepad++ all died - and trying to do something with a 80 Gig XML where the 80 gigs are on a single line isnt much fun.
Used to get an error on opening Yahoo mail beta in Firefox 3 beta 2 - and had to switch to the plain 'ole yahoo mail. Here’s the bug report Was pleasantly surprised today morning to see that Yahoo! mail beta now works properly in FF3b2. Thanks!
Have to admit it - this happens every time I sit down to write a some shell script that manipulates paths on windows (where path names often end up with spaces). Soon I find my nifty little script running into problems when it doesn’t handle spaces properly and I find myself reading up on bash quoting rules once again… Anyway, so this post is mostly for self reference :) and to put down some simple rules in the hope that writing it down will help committing it to memory.
I’m having weird problems with firefox 3b2 on ubuntu gutsy - and as far as I can tell, I seem to be the only one. Did not find anything similar on ubuntu forums too. Installed firefox 3 beta 2 from Mozilla to /usr/lib/firefox3b2 folder and created lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2007-12-30 23:44 /usr/bin/firefox-3b2 -> /usr/lib/firefox3b2/firefox When I launch firefox3b2, I get firefox alright, however, in the location bar if I type in a url and press Enter, nothing happens - absolutely nothing at all.
For machines to be accessible on the internet, usually you need a static IP that’s leased from your ISP so that when someone types in your IP address, so that packets can be routed over to your machine. However, getting a static ip is costly and for the most part, internet users have dynamic IP address that the ISP allocates each time an end user connects to the internet. Since the ip address keeps changing on each connection, there’s no straightforward way to connect to the machine without knowing the IP address that’s been allocated - or so it was at least till Dynamic DNS came along (it isnt new - has been around for ages, but for some reason isn’t that well known)
I’m on vacation in Bangalore, and guess what - fixing my home computer. Mostly things like lost drivers, screen resolution, cruft in the drives - its an old machine - a P4/512 Meg, but good enough for surfing the net. Did a few fun things in the midst, and its been ages since I’ve added anything to this blog. Will summarize for now and put in longer posts with more details in cases someone’s interested.
Okay - for the past few days I’ve been irritated with the browsing experience at home. Pages (google reader, Yahoo mail etc seemed inexplicably slower than before - but they’d load alright - just seemed that teeny weeny bit slower that’s enough to leave you suspicious). I first suspected my ISP (verizon) for frequent dropped connections (saw the DSL modem lights reset a couple of times a day), then my wifi modem (not a high end one), then spyware/malware.